Brock Oenology and Viticulture: Overview
Arry Pandher - January 11th, 2022
Written by Lyza Tibunsay and Matthew Tran
Cool Climate Oenology and Viticulture Institute is the only institute of its kind in Canada. Brock Oenology and Viticulture will provide you with a comprehensive education encompassing sensory science, biochemistry, biotechnology, chemistry, microbiology, genetics, molecular biology, plant physiology and cell biology. CCOVI offers:
- BSc in Oenology and Viticulture Co-op
- Minor in Oenology and Viticulture
- Certificate in Grape and Wine Technology
- Graduate Programs in Oenology and Viticulture
To know more about Brock’s Oenology and Viticulture program, keep reading! You may also contact the Admissions department directly at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
Honours Bachelor of Science in Oenology and Viticulture
Brock University, through the Department of Biological Sciences, offers an undergraduate program that leads to an Honours BSc in Oenology and Viticulture. The aim of the program is to provide comprehensive scientific education and practical skills in Oenology and Viticulture, along with exposure to marketing, tourism, and wine appreciation.
A unique feature of this program is its strong base in biotechnology, which has been used for centuries in fermentation and the making of bread, wine, and cheese. The program can enable their graduates to pursue graduate education in any of these disciplines.
Co-Operative Education Program
To prepare their students, they must complete three Co-op work terms. Each student is required to do at least one work term in a vineyard setting and one at a winery during the harvest and crush. The remaining work term may be in any approved aspect of the grape and wine industry.
These work terms will be paid, full-time positions within the grape and wine industry. The primary goal of the Oenology and Viticulture Co-op program is to arrange and monitor placements within the Canadian industry. However, suitable international work terms may be used to meet the program requirements.
Certificate in Grape and Wine Technology
The Certificate in Grape and Wine Technology provides the opportunity for individuals with an existing science degree to gain the training necessary to enter the grape and wine industry or for those with industry experience to upgrade their knowledge. All courses meeting Certificate requirements can be directly transferred to the Degree program if students choose to pursue the degree.
The program is designed to be completed in one calendar year for full-time students. A part-time study is also an option.
Students will also complete one full-time, paid internship somewhere within the grape and wine industry before graduating from the program.
Graduate Programs in Oenology and Viticulture
Why Choose Oenology and Viticulture at Brock University?
- They have small class sizes to maximize the interactions with the instructors and among students.
- Students also have the opportunity to network with industry professionals, in class, and through volunteer opportunities with the Cool Climate Oenology and Viticulture Institute.
- Students acquire hands-on experience through their courses’ lab components, which are then applied and developed during co-op or internship semesters.
- They have a 96 % employment rate in grape & wine industry for graduates, preparing you well for success.
Please contact the OEVI Academic Advisor Steve Trussler at email@example.com for more information.
Some of the possible career paths for a degree in Oenology and Viticulture are the following:
- Winemaker/winery consultant
- Vineyard manager/consultant
- Winery/vineyard proprietor
- Sensory specialist
- Oenology, viticulture or biotechnology researcher
The average salary for grads is between $40,000 to $150,000!
How To Apply Brock’s Oenology and Viticulture Program
To know how to get admitted to Brock University, you may check this website. For this program’s specific requirements, continue reading.
- B- Secondary School Average
- Advanced Functions (MHF4U) (min.70%) or Calculus and Vectors (MCV4U) (min.70%)
- Chemistry (SCH4U) (min.70%)
- Two from: Biology (SBI4U), Physics (SPH4U), Earth and Space Science (SES4U), or second 4U math or English (ENG4U)
Students may apply for admission to Year 2 of the Oenology and Viticulture program upon completion of Year 1 of an appropriate science program or completion of a previous related degree at another university. Transfer credit is awarded on a case by case basis and may not exceed 5.0 credits (out of the required 20.0 credits).
Application to the program is completed through the Ontario Universities’ Application Center website. Current Ontario high school students will use form 101; applicants not currently in an Ontario high school will use form 105.
Certificate in Grape and Wine Technology Program
You will be admitted if you:
- have completed an undergraduate degree in biological sciences, chemistry or another subject area related to the grape and wine industry (e.g., biotechnology, biochemistry, food science, agricultural science, etc.) or
- are admissible to the University and have relevant, substantial work experience in the grape and wine industry.
Transfer credit may be awarded upon admission for up to 1.0 credit (of the required 5.0 credits)
Application to the program is completed using an internal Brock University application. Normally, only September start dates are considered. The deadline for application is the first week of school, but it is recommended to have your application completed by July 1st to ensure a smooth entry into the program.
Tuition & Fees
All undergraduate students with a credit load of 4.0 or more credits in the fall/winter terms will pay a flat fee. The assessment system will calculate per term fees based on the flat fee rate and per term credit weight.
Please check this website for more details.
In addition to the current fees for courses in academic study terms, Co-op students are assessed administrative fees. All co-op fees are non-refundable.
Your Next Steps
Want to apply to Brock Oenology and Viticulture but don’t know where to start? You’ve come to the right place! Take our FREE quiz to see if you qualify for GrantMe in just a few minutes. GrantMe will help you find extra funding for your studies and provide you with support with your Brock Oenology and Viticulture application!
Join The GrantMe Program