Where is Carleton? | Ultimate University Guide
Arry Pandher - January 4th, 2022
Written by Arry Pandher and Kim Spencer
If you’re looking into Carleton University and wondering “Where is Carleton?”, keep reading!
Just south of Ottawa city centre, Carleton University’s campus sits within 100 acres of land and lies between the Rideau River and the historic Rideau Canal. It also has a five-kilometre network of underground tunnels that connect all of the university’s buildings! The university’s beautiful riverside campus provides a picturesque and stimulating environment in which to live and study.
Carleton University Campuses
Where is Carleton? Well let’s take a look at the campus! The campus comprises many prominent buildings, including the 22-story Dunton Tower, the Kailash Mital Theatre, which seats up to 444 people, and the Minto Centre for Advanced Studies in Engineering.
The campus itself is surrounded by many well-known tech companies and the university prides itself on its graduates’ “entrepreneurial spirit.” Carleton’s proximity to government institutions, libraries, media and a thriving knowledge economy make Carleton a great place to learn and live.
Things To Do On Campus
- There are over ten places to eat on campus, from full service dining (Bakers, located on the 4th floor in the University Centre), to all you can eat cafeteria (Fresh Food Company located on the 3rd floor in Residence commons).
- When you need your coffee, choose from several locations, including Starbucks (in the Library and University Centre), Second Cup (in the Canal Building, 1st floor), and Tim Hortons (several locations including the Athletics Building, University Centre, and the River Building overlooking the Rideau River).
- For over 40 years, Mike’s Place, located on the 2nd floor of the University Centre, has been Carleton’s grad owned and operated pub on campus and on the floor below you’ll find Oliver’s.
Health and Wellness
- Carleton’s Athletic Facilities are your one-stop shop for all things athletic. With an air-conditioned triple gymnasium, a double gymnasium, a 50m L-shaped pool, Ice House, fitness centre, cardio room, yoga room, multipurpose and combative rooms, outdoor fields and tennis courts, you’ll quickly run out of reasons why you can’t get into shape!
- Health and Counselling Services is your health and wellness centre on campus. For medical problems that are episodic in nature, visit the walk-in doctor, and for any dental needs, Alinea Dental is located on the second floor of the Technology and Training Centre.
Carleton has fantastic bars for legal students to feel classy including Oliver’s Pub and Patty’s Place. Freshman bars are also located in Ontario, including Greasy Cat, Mardi has, and Le pub – for students who haven’t reached the legal age yet.
Carleton is also known for its unique game – referred to as Panda Game. This fame includes some activities, one of which is Canal Woods Drive. The canal woods drive is often marked as a form of a street party.
The University also hosts an interesting St Paddy’s day event, and their celebration could rival the best ones. Aberdeen Street is the hub for social events in Carleton, and students rarely miss any of these well-hyped celebrations
Key Attraction Sites and Events near Carleton University
- Carleton University Art Gallery
- Fletcher Wildlife Garden
- Canada Agriculture and Food Museum
- Arboretum (Experimental Farm)
- Murder Mystery Ottawa
- Brew Donkey Tours
Don’t want to get lost on campus? Print off this map to see where all of the buildings are located, where the underground tunnels lead, parking areas, and bus stops!
Carleton is just minutes away from Ottawa, which makes the travel to the university easy and accessible from any direction of the city.
- Via Highway 417Highway 417 runs east/west through the centre of the City of Ottawa. Exit Highway 417 (also called the “Queensway”) at Bronson Avenue. Follow Bronson Avenue south approximately 2 kilometres. The campus entrance will be on the right at the intersection of Bronson and Sunnyside Avenue.
- Via Highway 416Hwy 416 connects Hwy 401 (interchange near Prescott, Ontario) to Hwy 417. Follow Hwy. 416 to Hwy. 417 (East). Follow Hwy. 417 (the “Queensway”) and exit at Bronson Avenue. Follow Bronson Avenue south approximately 2 kilometres. The campus entrance will be on the right at the intersection of Bronson and Sunnyside Avenue.
- Arrival by Train or BusThe 15-minute taxi ride from the Ottawa (Via Rail) train station to Carleton University’s Residence Commons costs approximately $15.00. Taxi fare from the Ottawa (Voyageur) bus terminal to Carleton University is approximately $10.00. OCTranspo‘s new Light Rail System – The OTrain.
- The O-Train provides service to Carleton University from the transit stations at Bayview (Lebreton Flats) and Greenboro (South Keys) with stops at Carling and Confederation Heights.
- Arrival by Airplane
- Ottawa International Airport (YOW) The taxi ride from the Ottawa Airport to Carleton University’s Residence Commons costs approximately $15.00.
- Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (Montréal-Trudeau) (ADM) Montreal is two hours by bus from Ottawa. Tickets for the Voyageur Colonial Bus from Dorval Airport to the Ottawa Bus Terminal cost approximately $25 and can be purchased at the airport. Five buses run daily from Montreal to Ottawa from 1:20 to 10:20 p.m. Voyageur Colonial Bus telephone: (613) 238-5900. Taxi fare from the Ottawa bus terminal to Carleton University is approximately $10.00.
- Toronto Pearson International Airport (GTAA) Toronto is approximately five hours from Ottawa by car. We suggest that you fly from Toronto to Ottawa (less than one hour flight). Be sure to reserve your flight in advance.
So now that we’ve answered your question, “Where is Carleton?”, here’s a tip! GrantMe has admitted countless students into their dream schools. If you’d like to know more about how GrantMe can support your goal of getting into Carleton, start by taking our quiz to see if you qualify!
Join The GrantMe Program