UVIC Marine Sciences: Overview
Matthew Tran - February 26th, 2022
Written By Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran
A degree in Biology at UVic provides a unique opportunity to specialize in Marine Sciences—the ocean is everywhere at UVic, and if it’s your passion, this department is the place for you!
Are you in love with everything in the deep blue sea? Do you want to make a career out of your love for Marine life? Keep reading and we will show you how the UVic Marine Sciences program can help you achieve your dream career!
Why Choose University of Victoria Marine Sciences?
First off, the UVic campus is located within walking distance or a short drive of beaches and rocky shores of southern Vancouver Island— a massive epicentre of Marine life!
- UVic is home to the large-scale remote ocean sensing programs of NEPTUNE Canada and VENUS and a partner university supporting Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre!
- Joined alongside the School of Earth and Ocean Sciences (EOS) and Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre (BMSC), UVic offers several lectures and laboratory/field courses with a significant Marine Science focus.
- In this program, you can also gain a combined Major in Biology and Ocean Sciences! Additionally, the School of Earth and Ocean Sciences offers an Ocean Sciences minor, which can be taken during the summer or as part of a regular biology program.
- A Marine Biology concentration is also offered within a Biology Major Honours program.
- Obtain a Bachelor of Science (BSc)
- In this degree, you can explore life at all levels of biological organization, from the gene to the ecosystem.
- Understand the key fields of biology, then you have the option to specialize in Marine Biology in later years.
- Develop practical skills through fieldwork, laboratory work and research projects!
Undergraduate Marine Sciences Course Examples:
Below is a list of courses, offered on UVic’s campus, that have a significant marine sciences component!
- EOS 110 Oceans and Atmosphere
- BIOL 311 Biological Oceanography
- EOS 312 Introductory Chemical Oceanography
- EOS 313 Introductory Geological Oceanography
- EOS 314 Descriptive Physical Oceanography
- BIOL 319 Marine Ecology
- BIOL 321 Survey of Invertebrates
- BIOL 322 Biology of Marine Invertebrates
- BIOL 335 Ichthyology
- BIOL 336 Biology of Algae
- EOS 350 Understanding the Ocean
- EOS 408 Marine Geology
Undergraduate Research Opportunities:
Several UVic and Bamfield courses include linked laboratory and field components that provide students with hands-on experience. Directed Studies courses and Honours thesis programmes also provide students with the opportunity to get research experience under the direction of UVic professors (listed below).
- These research possibilities are especially beneficial to those interested in pursuing graduate studies!
Adjunct teachers are situated at the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, the Institute of Ocean Sciences is 30 minutes from campus in Patricia Bay, and the Pacific Biological Station is 90 minutes north in Nanaimo, offering undergraduates with collaborative research possibilities!
For admission into Marine Sciences, you will need to apply to the Faculty of Science as a high school student or a transfer student from another post-secondary institution.
You can declare the Marine Sciences program as your major after one or more years of full-time study!
Grade 11 courses
- Approved English 11
- Pre‑calculus 11
- Chemistry 11
- Physics 11
- Approved social studies 11/12
Grade 12 courses
- English Studies 12 or English First Peoples 12 (minimum 67%)
- Pre‑calculus 12 (minimum 67%)
- Two approved science 12 courses
- See all approved courses here!
- Provincial examinations: Students must have written provincial examinations in any subjects where it was mandatory in order to meet BC Graduate Program requirements.
PROTIP: The admission process can be confusing for entering students! Want to know more about how University Admissions work? Check out our blog about it here!
Recommended admission average:
- 82-85% overall
Admission averages are calculated using all required Grade 12 courses for entry to a program. However, the actual admission average cutoff and individual subject grade requirements change on an annual basis.
NOTE: Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee an offer of admission! We encourage students to aim for an average in the 90s for a competitive entrance average.
Tuition & Scholarships
Below is a chart with the estimated amount of tuition costs for a Domestic student interested in Marine Sciences:
Does this tuition seem daunting to you? Don’t fret! UVic offers automatic one-time scholarships ranging from $2,000 to $3,000 and renewable scholarships of up to $26,000 payable over four years, to academically outstanding students who have applied for admission.
How to Apply for UVic Marine Sciences
Convinced that applying to UVic for Marine Sciences is the right journey for you? Read our blog about **How to Apply to UVic** for a step-by-step guide on how to apply!
Want Support to Get Into University of Victoria Marine Sciences?
If you feel you’re a great fit for the University of Victoria Marine Sciences, GrantMe has helped countless students get admitted into UVic— If you want the inside scoop on How To Get Into UVic, read our blog about it here!
Additionally, if you’d like to know more about how GrantMe can support your goal of getting into UVic, start by taking our quiz to see if you qualify for our expert educational advisory services, financial aid, and more student resources!
Join The GrantMe Program
Queen's offers several Entrance Awards to exceptional students entering their first year of…Read Article >
York University is widely regarded as one of the best schools in the…Read Article >
The University of Victoria is one of Canada's leading research-intensive universities. Located on…Read Article >
The University of Guelph's software engineering program is designed to provide students with…Read Article >
The University of Calgary offers a world-class education in software engineering. Students in…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran At the University of Saskatchewan, Health…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran The School of Rehabilitation Science at…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Everything we do involves data and…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Universities provide educational programs and services…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran At Toronto Metropolitan University Business Management,…Read Article >
Written by Akim Hermoso and Matthew Tran Studying at Toronto Metropolitan University’s Faculty…Read Article >
Written by Akim Hermoso and Matthew Tran Toronto Metropolitan University’s Aerospace Engineering program…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Is the Engineering program at Waterloo…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Rotman Commerce is looking for exceptional…Read Article >
Written by Aly Tagamolila and Matthew Tran The McMaster Health Sciences Supplementary Application…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Do you want to learn how…Read Article >