University of Calgary Engineering: Overview
Matthew Tran - March 13th, 2022
Written By Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran
University of Calgary engineers are thinkers, creators, and achievers who work to solve society’s most pressing problems. They construct transportation systems, develop communication technology, and develop techniques for cleaning and protecting the water we consume.
Are you prepared to make a positive impact on the world? Do you want to learn more about the University of Calgary Engineering program? Well, you’ve come to the right place! Keep on reading to discover more about what this program has to offer!
University of Calgary Engineering Program highlights!
- Classes are collaborative and hands-on: Work on engineering design projects in class or in engineering makerspaces to bring your ideas to reality.
- Get paid work experience: Apply for internships through the Engineering Practicum Program (1st and 2nd year) and Engineering Internship Program (3rd year); Engineering Career Centre advisers will help you find valuable, paid work experience.
- Engineering internationally: You can study, work, or volunteer all across the world while immersed in cultural and intellectual experiences in this program.
What Does First-Year Look Like?
It’s difficult to decide which discipline of engineering to pursue without first-hand experience. That is why the University of Calgary provides a common first year, also known as a foundational year!
When you first start engineering, you won’t have to worry about what classes to take. To prepare for what the future holds, you will study ten courses in design, mathematics, science, and engineering principles in your first year.
Read below for the course lists for your common first year!
Fall Course List (1st year)
- Calculus for Engineers and Scientists (Math 275): Course description
- Engineering Design and Communication (ENGG 200): Course description
- Programming with Data (ENDG 233): Course description
- Linear Methods I (Math 211): Course description
- Behaviour of Liquids, Gasses and Solids (ENGG 201) or General Chemistry for Engineers (CHEM 209):
Winter Course List (1st year)
- Multivariable Calculus for Engineers and Scientists (MATH 277): Course description
- Fundamentals of Electrical Circuits and Machines (ENGG 225): Course description
- Engineering Statics (ENGG 202): Course description
- Electricity and Magnetism for Engineers (PHYS 259): Course description
- General Chemistry for Engineers (CHEM 209) or Behaviour of Liquids, Gasses and Solids (ENGG 201)
- Complimentary Studies (optional)
They’ll make class blocks for you to make scheduling easier. Once you’ve chosen a block and enrolled in the required courses, you’ll be able to share classes with the same group of students throughout the year. It’s a means of assisting you in forming a study group and making friends from the start!
Students who finish all 10 technical common-core courses in their first year are guaranteed their first choice of programme. This means you don’t have to apply separately for the engineering discipline you wish to study; the decision is yours!
After a first year that introduces you to all of UofC’s engineering majors, you begin your second year in your programme of choice.
What Areas Can You Specialize in at University of Calgary Engineering?
After your common first year of Engineering, you can choose to branch off into any of these different engineering pathways! Click on the links below to read more about each stream!
- BSc Chemical Engineering
- BSc Biomedical Engineering
- BSc Civil Engineering
- BSc Electrical Engineering
- BSc Energy Engineering
- BSc Geomatics Engineering
- BSc Mechanical Engineering
- BSc Software Engineering
- BSc (Eng) + BComm combined degree program
With all these different engineering possibilities, you are destined to find a career that you love through this program, and experience an education that is suited to your interests! So, do you want to apply for the UofC Engineering program? Check out this website to discover how you can apply!
Want Support with Applying to University of Calgary Engineering?
If you would like to know how to apply to University of Calgary Engineering with unlimited support, you’ve come to the right place! Take our FREE quiz to see if you qualify for GrantMe in just a few min
Join The GrantMe Program
Queen's offers several Entrance Awards to exceptional students entering their first year of…Read Article >
York University is widely regarded as one of the best schools in the…Read Article >
The University of Victoria is one of Canada's leading research-intensive universities. Located on…Read Article >
The University of Guelph's software engineering program is designed to provide students with…Read Article >
The University of Calgary offers a world-class education in software engineering. Students in…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran At the University of Saskatchewan, Health…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran The School of Rehabilitation Science at…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Everything we do involves data and…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Universities provide educational programs and services…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran At Toronto Metropolitan University Business Management,…Read Article >
Written by Akim Hermoso and Matthew Tran Studying at Toronto Metropolitan University’s Faculty…Read Article >
Written by Akim Hermoso and Matthew Tran Toronto Metropolitan University’s Aerospace Engineering program…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Is the Engineering program at Waterloo…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Rotman Commerce is looking for exceptional…Read Article >
Written by Aly Tagamolila and Matthew Tran The McMaster Health Sciences Supplementary Application…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Do you want to learn how…Read Article >