Where is Trent University? | Ultimate University Guide
Arry Pandher - April 7th, 2022
Written by Arry Pandher and Kim Spencer
Where is Trent University?
Trent University offers students the opportunity to study at two campuses – Peterborough and Durham GTA in Ontario, Canada.
The Peterborough campus features rigorous academic programs, housed on 1,400 acres, in a breathtaking natural setting on the banks of the Otonabee River. The Durham Greater Toronto Area campus in Oshawa is known as an especially teaching-focused university with an emphasis on social responsibility.
With nearly 100 dynamic academic programs and joint majors available between our two campuses, at Trent, you’ll find the program that will help shape and develop you into a leader of tomorrow.
Trent operates largely through its colleges: Champlain, Lady Eaton, Catharine Parr Traill, Otonabee, Peter Gzowski and Julian Blackburn. Each college has its own residence halls, dining room, and student government. Although Trent University is predominantly undergraduate, graduate programs are offered at the master’s and doctoral levels.
Get to Know Trent’s Campuses:
Trent’s Symons Campus, located in the vibrant city of Peterborough, is an inspiring place to learn. A stunning natural landscape along the Otonabee River provides an environment where you can grow, thrive, live and connect. The Symons Campus offers an impressive range of academically rigorous programs across the arts and sciences, as well as professional programs in business, law, medicine, the environment and more. Here, academic excellence combines with state-of-the-art research facilities and exemplary teaching within a personal, close-knit community that provides a transformative student experience.
Surrounded by award-winning architecture and dynamic student spaces, you will connect and interact with other students and your professors and become part of the Trent family. The Symons Campus offers architecturally-stunning buildings and sweeping riverside views combined with renowned academic programs and state-of-the-art facilities.
- 220,000 population Greater Peterborough Area
- 90 min to downtown Toronto, and now even faster with the 407 expansion open
- Top 25 friendliest cities in Canada
- One of the 21 most active cities in Canada thanks to abundance of biking, paddling and indoor rock climbing options
Things to do in Peterborough
With a lively downtown including shops, restaurants and entertainment just a short distance away, you can easily enjoy all that Peterborough has to offer.
Peterborough’s vibrant downtown is a premier destination for festivals, concerts and events, including Peterborough Musicfest, which is Canada’s Longest Running Free Admission Summer Concert Series
With hundreds of kilometres of hiking and cycling trails, 350+ lakes to paddle on, and unique natural wonders to explore, you will be left wanting more. Explore the Warsaw Caves Conservation Area, or feel your adrenaline rush by swinging through the trees at Tree Top Trekking. Rent a sea-doo or a power boat and bomb around the lakes, or book a white water canoe trip with an expert guide.
Nightlife in Peterborough
The downtown scene is the perfect way to start an evening… and the perfect way to end one, too. For campers, cottagers, students, and other out-of-towners, Peterborough’s nightlife is a bonus.
Enjoy the nightlife with friends at one of these lively spots:
- Aria nightclub
- The Junction
- Peterborough Comedy Club
- The Publican Craft Brewery
- Pottery or Paint Date Night
- META4 Contemporary Craft Gallery
- Concerts at the Peterborough Memorial Centre
Durham GTA Campus
Building on a tradition of academic excellence spanning nearly four decades, Trent University Durham offers a dynamic and rigorous education experience grounded in the social sciences and humanities, and unparalleled in the Durham Region and eastern GTA.
Known as the hub of learning and innovation, this campus provides students with a warm, friendly and welcoming environment. Here, our popular programs in Business, Communications, Law, Social Work, Child & Youth Studies, Policing, Computer Science, Logistics & Supply Chain Management, Anthropology, English Literature, Media Studies, History, Teacher Education, Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy and Journalism provide you with an array of options and creative joint majors.
Through involvement in research, course development, community-based projects, volunteer activities and events, Trent enables and encourages contributions to a better world.
About Durham in the GTA
- 608,124 population Durham Region
- 40 min to Union Station in downtown Toronto
- Top 10 community for new residents in Canada
- City of Oshawa is #1 for employment in Ontario; #3 in all of Canada
- City of Oshawa is a Top 10 Intelligent Community worldwide
Things to Do in Durham
The Oshawa Durham Region is packed with Outdoor Fun! Check out the Oshawa Zoo, Purple Woods Conservation Area, Joseph Kolodzie Oshawa Creek Bike Path, Treetop Eco-Adventure Park, or the Oshawa Golf and Curling Club!
NightLife in Durham
With its cobbles, centuries of spiritual heritage and old-world feel, Durham is perhaps not normally associated with a lively up to the minute nocturnal scene. However, the nightclubs do what they do very well, particularly those around the North Road district of the city.
Enjoy some laughs and social scenes with friends at places like:
- Cheap Laughs Open Mic Stand-Up Comedy Night at Top Corner Grill & BBQ.
- The Bulldog Pub
- Simcoe Blues and Jazz.
- Yuk Yuk’s Comedy Club
- The Stag’s Head Bar and Grill.
- The Junction.
- Simcoe Suds Bar & Grill.
If you’re wondering whether Trent University is the school for you, click here to register for a Virtual Fall Preview or Virtual Presentation, book a Campus Tour, or attend an Open House to see what Trent has to offer!
Symons Campus in Peterborough
There are many ways to get to Trent. Many staff and students walk, bike, bus and carpool to campus each day.
- Cycling – There are two main trails leading to Trent’s Symons campus, the Rotary Greenway Trail connecting from the South and the Lakefield Greenway Trail connecting from the north.
- Bus – City buses on West Bank run every 20 minutes until 7:00 p.m. Additional school buses will run between 4:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. with stops at Parkhill Road and the main downtown bus terminal. On West Bank, buses will run as usual servicing all Trent East Bank bus stops.
- Car – If you’re coming from Totonto, check out this page for step-by-step directions. If you plan to live off-campus and drive to school each day, make sure you check the traffic cams to get there on time!
- Air – The closest airport to Peterborough is Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (YTZ) at 114.4 km. Often people will choose to fly into the Toronto Pearson, as it isn’t much further away (126.1 km). Check out flight costs and see which one has the best deal!
Durham GTA Campus
There are lots of transportation options available in Durham Region including:
- Walking and biking. There are plenty of bike trails and paths to get around.
- Durham Region Transit (DRT) for public transportation
- Taxi, Uber and other hired car services – Great alternatives to walking and cycling if you need to go far or the weather is bad. They are also excellent and safe choices if you plan to drink alcohol and travel.
- Buses, trains and carpooling for commuters – visit the Smart Commute Durham website for more information on how to get the most out of your commute.
- Air – The closest airport to DUrham/Oshawa is Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (YTZ) at 53.4 km. Often people will choose to fly into the Toronto Pearson, as it isn’t much further away (67.5 km). Check out flight costs and see which one has the best deal!
Now that we’ve answered your question “Where is Trent University?”, here a tip! GrantMe has helped countless students get into their dream schools. If you’d like to know more about how GrantMe can support your goal of getting into Trent University, start by taking our quiz to see if you qualify!
Join The GrantMe Program
Queen's offers several Entrance Awards to exceptional students entering their first year of…Read Article >
York University is widely regarded as one of the best schools in the…Read Article >
The University of Victoria is one of Canada's leading research-intensive universities. Located on…Read Article >
The University of Guelph's software engineering program is designed to provide students with…Read Article >
The University of Calgary offers a world-class education in software engineering. Students in…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran At the University of Saskatchewan, Health…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran The School of Rehabilitation Science at…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Everything we do involves data and…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Universities provide educational programs and services…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran At Toronto Metropolitan University Business Management,…Read Article >
Written by Akim Hermoso and Matthew Tran Studying at Toronto Metropolitan University’s Faculty…Read Article >
Written by Akim Hermoso and Matthew Tran Toronto Metropolitan University’s Aerospace Engineering program…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Is the Engineering program at Waterloo…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Rotman Commerce is looking for exceptional…Read Article >
Written by Aly Tagamolila and Matthew Tran The McMaster Health Sciences Supplementary Application…Read Article >
Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Do you want to learn how…Read Article >